The following statements were contributed by current and former Writing Center staff members during training sessions. These statements represent the tutors' views on writing and their roles in helping students become stronger and more confident writers.
What do we believe about writing?
- Everyone is capable of writing.
- Individuals possess their own writing styles.
- Writing is a way to express oneself, like dance or music, and yet present information to those looking for it.
- Good writing connects with readers.
- Writing is meant to be understood by a larger audience.
- Every job involves some form of writing.
- All people must possess basic skills necessary for effective communication, and it is our job to help everyone reach that goal.
What do we believe about our roles as tutors?
- We want to help students see writing as a not-so scary process.
- Our center is available to all students who seek to improve their writing.
- We work to make sure students learn how to fix their common errors so that they can better express themselves.
- We give students not only advice and encouragement but also confidence in themselves.
- We help the student identify the purpose of his or her paper.
- The center is a place where students can go for help without feeling judged.
- We want students to grow into original and successful writers.
- Our center's goal for helping SFU students is to improve students’ writing competency and uphold the motto of our university.